Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Brunch Staple: Mom's Breakfast Casserole





This is my mom's recipe (so you know it has to be good) and a dish I grew up on.  This recipe never disappoints.  It is a great make ahead brunch meal.  And now that we are steadily approaching the holidays, this is a perfect dish to try if you are hosting family and friends.  My in-laws are coming into town this morning after driving across country from FL to CA.  I wanted to make a comforting brunch meal that didn't leave me in the kitchen for hours on a Saturday morning.  I prepped this yesterday evening (took about 10 minutes) and this morning I will pop it in the oven.  I love how easy this dish is and how people simply rave about it.  It really is one of the easiest recipes I have ever made and is great for a new cook.  Enjoy!


Ingredients:
10 slices of white "wonder" bread
1 8oz. package of shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
2-4 tbs. of unsalted butter, according to how liberally you want to spread each piece of bread.  I stick to around 2 tbs. (bring to room temp. before preparing)
2 1/2 cups of whole milk


Directions:
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Spread butter on each slice of bread (I like to just spread butter on one side only.)  Cut the crusts off and then cut into cubes.  Scatter the bread in the baking dish.  Next, whisk the 6 eggs and milk.  Then stir in the the cheese.  Leave about 1/2 cup for sprinkling on top.  Pour liquid mixture over the buttered bread and top with remaining cheese.  Let sit overnight.  This allows the bread to soak up the egg and milk mixture.  


The day you plan to bake this yummy dish off, pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees and let stand on the counter at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Then bake for one hour, uncovered.  I like to serve this immediately because out of the oven the dish is puffed, golden, and quite a crowd pleaser.  You can add other items to this dish like sausage or bacon, but I love the homey flavors of simply the eggs and the cheese.   

No comments:

Post a Comment