Monday, January 23, 2012

Homemade Party Favors!

Some of you are probably thinking you would rather drive off of a bridge than make homemade party favors.  I know.  I know.  But I am telling you this recipe is super simple and truly a gift from the heart.  I was asked to bring the favors to my cousins baby shower.  My first thought was I would call my local bakery and purchase little duck cookies. Seemed simple enough. I was floored when they told me that 30 duck cookies would cost around $150!!  The only other option: put on your apron and dust off your rolling pin Emily.  You might be asking yourself, why didn't you just go the pre-made-Pillsbury-cookie-dough-recipe-route?  Well, quite frankly, whenever I have attempted to make cut-out cookies from the ol' log from the store, they never seem to hold their shape!  You know you have been there before too.  

A good friend of mine gave me this recipe that I have tasted before and loved.  I made the dough the night before and baked the next day.  And they actually looked like ducks!  Decorating was fun and easy and felt like something my Kindergarten students could do (well, sort of.)  I would be lying if I said it didn't take some effort, but this kind of thing is a labor of love.  If you are looking to add a little something to your next event that will bring it over the top or are looking to do something nice for that special friend or family member, get baking and try these cookies!

Sugar Cookie Ingredients(Makes approximately 2 dozen. 
Suggestion: double the recipe and freeze what you don't use!):
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks regular/salted), slightly softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour, plus more if very sticky
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Blend butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in mixer.  Mix in baking powder and salt first, then add flour 1 cup at a time. Dough will be sticky. Add a bit more flour as needed so you can roll the dough into an oblong ball/log with your hands.  Cover with parchment paper and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour at the very least.  Roll the dough out bit by bit 
to about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch thick depending on your preference.  Cut out cookies using your favorite cookie cutter or simply cut circles. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until barely starting to brown at the edges.  

Frosting Ingredients:
powdered sugar
water
dash of almond extract

This is not a precise recipe for the frosting.  Simply mix the water with the powdered sugar until you get the right spreadable consistency.  You will know when you get it right.  Don't forget a dash of almond extract for flavor.  This is the type of frosting that will harden a bit and is great for decorating.  This type of cookie would be great with a buttercream or let's be honest, the pre-made frosting at the market never hurt anyone.

To package, I bought little cellophane bags and ribbon from Michael's.  I will say next time I may put some tissue or that crinkly package filler, so the cookies weren't resting directing on the cellophane bags.  A few of my blue dots got a little smushed up against the bag, but I was probably the only one to notice it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment